Friday 7 June 2013

Sanctions And Reactions

Normally, I'm not given to over-reacting to situations. In fact, if I was any more laid back, I would probably fall over, but this is different. This is something that is causing me a problem.

The DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) has instituted a new system, at the behest of Ian Duncan Smith, which is part of the overhaul of the benefits system in this country aiming to get people back into work. I'm all for this. I would love to get back into work, in fact, in July this year, I'm due to start a new job, ironically, for the DWP. The problem is, the guidelines and processes put in place are not going to work very well. In fact, I think they are going to cause more harm than good, especially in the short term.

The measure in place now are allegedly designed to encourage people to find work. What they are going to do is force many people out on the streets, or possibly into crime. The biggest change is the Universal Credit system, which is going to replace the likes of JSA, ESA, Disability, Housing Benefit, etc. This means that all benefits will be paid in one lump sum into the recipient's bank account and they have to sort them out themselves. Along with this is the link to HMRC which will supposedly do away with having to 'sign off' when starting a new job and 'signing on' when ending one. The HMRC link should enable the DWP to see when a person finishes work and automatically apply their benefit without them having to apply, (unless they have never applied in the first place then a single application will have to be made). This sounds all well and good and, if it works as it should, then it should solve a lot of problems.

The main grief though, is the sanctioning system. This has caused me no end of problems and may be the cause of so many more for other benefit claimants and the government.

The sanctions are a part of a multi-tier system of punishment when a claimant does not do what the DWP wants them to do to find work. Each benefit claim starts with a 'Job Seekers Agreement', which is a list of actions the so-called Jobseeker has to perform each fortnight, such as looking through local papers, sending out CV's, applying for jobs within their desired industry, etc. These actions have to be recorded in a 'jobsearch book' which the claimant has to present each time they sign on, or into the new 'Universal Jobsearch' website, whichever system they are using. Prior to April 2013, if the claimant didn't do this then sanctions were rarely applied if there was a good enough reason, eg they were ill. Now, the sanctions are being applied if there are not enough actions recorded, if they are not spread out evenly, if there are no applications made despite job searches being made and various other reasons.

One thing I wasn't aware of is that even if you have secured a job, as I have, then you still have to perform the job search and apply for jobs. This gives rise to another problem, one for potential employers. I'll go into that in a minute, but back to the sanctions.

The sanctions are applied whenever a claimant doesn't perform within the bounds of their Jobseekers Agreement. It starts with the payment being suspended for four weeks, (ie, two payments). This actually works out at six weeks due to benefit being paid in arrears. If the claimant continues to ignore the agreement then the next sanction is for 13 weeks (within 52 weeks of the first failure) for subsequent failures. The problem lies in the vague list of reasons for not performing within the bounds of the jobseekers agreement. Almost any reason could be given that would qualify for not complying. For example, as I wrote above, job actions not spread out, eg clumped together the night before signing on; not enough job search actions, (I have to do 28 items in a fortnight, I can imagine getting sanctioned for doing only 27); inappropriate job search actions, ie outside the agreed bounds of the agreement, ie searching for full time work when you've agreed only part-time work.

So, anyone can be sanctioned pretty much any time, for anything. This means loss of benefit money, leaving the person in a situation where, in many deprived area's of the country, turning to crime to get money is the only option. Not everyone has family they can turn to. Walking into a job has now become nigh on impossible with the rules and regulations employers have to follow to employ someone, even for the most menial jobs. Building work, for instance, used to be the easiest to get into. Turn up on site, show you can use a shovel or broom and you have willing, no problem, job's yours. Now, you have to go through an interview process, obtain a CSCS card, (showing you have learned Health and Safety), have a bank account, references etc, just to be a site labourer.

That takes us to the problem for employers that I mentioned. When a claimant secures a job, which may not start for a month or two, (like me), they still have to abide by the rules of the Jobseekers Agreement and look for, and apply for, work. This means that employers seeking workers will received applications from people who don't really want the job because they have one, but still have to apply regardless. So the jobseeker's time is wasted, and the employer's time is wasted, especially if the employer has invited the applicant to interview, which the applicant must attend. Of course, there is always the chance the applicant may be offered a job which is better paid and better suited than the one they have already been accepted for, but I should imagine this would be quite rare.

I've had to jump through hoops to get the job I am waiting to start. I have had to attend meetings fifty miles from my home, pay out money to get security clearances, set up a new company, (which costs money), all the time still having to apply for other jobs. I still have to sign on, still search and apply for jobs, have to attend any interviews I get, update my online job search on a a regular basis, even though I now have a job, which, unfortunately has had its start date delayed twice due to technical issues.

I have now been put on a four week (two payment) sanction which, for some reason, has turned into 8 weeks with no notification from the DWP whatsoever. I have no idea what is going on, the advisors at the JobCentre have no idea what is going on. I can't phone up since I no longer have a working phone due to inability to pay the bill, (I could use the JobCentre's but I really don't want to broadcast my business across the whole place, you could hear a mouse fart in there, also the phones are only for calling about jobs, according to the rules). So, at the time of writing I am waiting for the DWP to call me regarding whatever is happening.

I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment